Serves 4-6 depending on how greedy the bunch
You will need:
¼ water (tap water will do unless you live in Chernobyl)
2 peeled apples (green, granny smiths, empire, mutsu – the ones for pie baking)
1 small head of green or purple cabbage (if you use purple then your apples with turn pink :)
2-3 carrots (not the baby ones)
1 TBSP of apple cider vinegar or juice from half of a lemon
Sea Salt and any type of Pepper to taste (i like a pinch of black pepper plus a sprinkle of cayenne)
1 sauce pan or stainless steel skillet
fire or electricity
a loving attitude (not optional)
Ultimate Goal: to prepare mildly sweet and tangy cabbage dish.
PREP it UP! Before you turn on the stove…
• Core and chop apples then eat around the core (yum) – long slices will work
• Rinse cabbage then cut in half then slice along the lines so that you have tiny ribbons
• Wash carrots (keep the skin on) and cut in little round discs) Keep it uniform
Look then Cook!
Do you have everything at your fingertips? Are you excited?
1. Take your saucepan or skillet and add the tap water.
2. Add the apple slices and let them simmer for 5 minutes-ish
3. Next add your vinegar or lemon juice
4. Add your tiny cabbage ribbons
5. Add carrots (not the baby ones please)
6. Toss with tongs or fork or wooden spatula
7. Cover and let cook on low heat for 15-20 minutes
8. Take this time to clean up, wash dishes and cutting board, etc.
9. Add salt and pepper (1/2 teaspoon each to start then a tad more for taste, if needed)
Serve with mash potatoes or rice / pork chops or grilled fish.