by KalaLea on August 20, 2011 • Posted in Recipes
Recipe by KalaLea K
Serves 4-6 country singers
Lentils cook faster than any other bean and there’s no need to soak them before cooking. It’s my quick protein fix.
You will need:
3-4 cups of water
1 large cup of dried lentils
1 large Vidalia onion
2-3 garlic cloves
1 12 oz. can of diced fire roasted tomatoes
1/2 green pepper
1/2 red pepper
2 TBSPs yellow mustard
1 generous TBSP of blackstrap molasses
1/4 jalepeno pepper
SPICES: (start with 1 tsp)
marjoram and/or chives
cayenne (small pinch only)
1) large pot for lentils 2) saucepan 3) chopping board 4) chef knife 5) wooden spoon
PREP it UP!
- Dice onion (small dice)
- Dice green and red peppers (1/2 each)
- Chop 2-3 garlic cloves finely
- Chop jalapeno (the seeds are the HOT part, be cautious and do not touch your eyes)
COOK it UP!
- In the pot, add 3-4 cups of water and dried lentils (I usually rinse the lentils and check for pebbles first)
- Cover pot (leaving it cracked some b/c lentils can boil over and make a mess)
- Turn heat to high until lentils come to a boil then simmer for 30 minutes
- In the saucepan, sauté onions for 10 minutes on low heat
- Add chopped garlic to pan
- Add canned diced tomatoes and let cook for 5-8 minutes
- Add cooked lentils (there shouldn’t be much water left) to sauce pan along with all spices (not the salt)
- Add mustard and molasses then chopped green, red, and jalapenos then stir together
- Add sea salt, taste, then add more salt or spices to your liking. Turn off heat and serve.
It’s a bar-bee-que so I left my food styling skills indoors. Serve with corn on the cob and green salad. And if you enjoy eating animals then a burger, steak, ribs, or grilled chicken will do.
Other Posts You Might Like